Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Do you miss the old days? I don't!!!!!



Pic is of the 'lake' at the bottom of my driveway at home.

Ok I am not that old to begin with, but people around here are always talking about how they 'Miss the good old days!' Well I don't! I am living them....

The good old days to me mean well water not city water. They didn't have that many people that were on city water back then. I live in rural north dakota on a farm and all of my water is gotten from a well. Have you ever had well water? It tastes great, but is hell on your clothes, teeth, and hair! Everything gets stained. You have to work extra hard to keep your teeth white and not to mention your clothes!

I now realize why no one out in the country ever had a computer until about 5 years ago or so. Their electricity could not handle it! I overload my circuit breakers all the time. I cannot run my dryer as I will overload my whole house due to faulty wiring, so I have to line dry my clothes.

Yes, I did say line dry. I have to bring my clothes outside and hang them up on a clothesline. I have never had to do this in my life before I moved out here about a year and a half ago! Clotheslines to me were something that my grandmother hung her quilts on about once a month in the summer to 'air' them out, otherwise as a kid I would do my best rendition of George of the Jungle off the top of them. Never for actually drying clothes!

I now am the proud owner of a septic tank ~ can we say disgusting! I never realized how much {waste} one family can make in just a few short weeks until my septic tank started backing up on me. It is amazing how imaginative I have become when it comes to washing dishes, taking bathes, and brushing teeth without overflowing anything!

"The wind is my friend" Enough said about septic tanks. ;-)

Dusting is obsolete when you live on a 'dirt road' you might as well not even try! You are trying to battle something that is all around you and never stops filtering in through every crack in your house, and yes you will find many of them when the wind starts blowing!

You had better not be squeamish about anything that squirms, slithers, climbs, hisses, croacks, jumps, flies, or sucks blood.

YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE!!! You will be driven slowly out of your mind out in the rural areas of our nation! You cannot get away from wild creatures or bugs no matter how hard you may try. They are everywhere!

Crap is everywhere ~ literally

You are at the whims of Mother Nature ~ again literally

Your best friend is your dog ~ unfortunately I'm not really kidding.

I personally long for the modern ages and a more modern house, but love the scenery. Can't there be a happy medium somewhere? Maybe if I tore down the whole house and started over....Maybe that's an idea.

JennyB

No comments: